I wanted to design a planner for 2009
12 sheets of copy paper
2 sheet 8 ½ X 11 white cardstock
12 sheets of 12 X 12 cardstock
Chipboard (I used a cereal box)
2 pieces of 12 X 12 pattern paper
12 different ribbons (24 inches each)
Gaffer or Hockey Tape
3 inch scallop punch (optional)
I would recommend printing out the Important Numbers and Days PDF on white cardstock. For the calendar pages regular copy paper works great!
• Print out your 12 month calendar, Important Numbers, and Special Days (which also includes “2009” and “you are here”).
- Fold each month sheet in half.
- Cut “Important Numbers” and Days sheet in half (at 5 ½ inches).
- Cut out “2009”; for “you are here” cut out leaving a 1 1/2 inch border below the word "here".
- For “Important Numbers” trim 1/8 of an inch off of top, left side, and bottom.
- For “Important Days” trim 1/8 of an inch off of top, right side, and bottom.
- Set aside.
• Pick out and trim each cardstock sheet to 12 X 11.
• Score each cardstock piece at 8 ½ inches horizontally or the side that measures 12 inches. Then turn your cardstock and score at 5 ½ inches vertically or the side that measures 11 inches. Fold on score lines.
• With your cardstock folded into the portfolio measure and mark ½ of an inch on both sides of pocket top, using your score lines as a guide. Draw a line from your ½ inch mark to the centre bottom of your pocket to form an isosceles triangle. Cut out triangle. Apply a thin bead of glue on the left and right edges, fold portfolio bottoms up to form portfolio. Repeat on all twelve portfolios and set aside.
• Trim three chipboard pieces to measure…
(2) – 5½ X 8½
(1) – 2 X 8½
• Now we’ll need to alter 2 pieces of pattern paper to create one large piece. Trim pattern paper to measure 8 X 9½. Lay your pattern paper pieces right side down, overlapping 1 inch; using adhesive attach these together.
• Using double sided tape attach you chipboard pieces as shown (leaving ¼ of an inch between front/back covers and spine).
• Fold each corner down and attach with wet adhesive.
• Pre-fold each side down and then attach using double sided tape.
• Ink edges of “Important Days and Important Numbers” sheets, if desired. For the “Important Numbers” make a pencil mark 1¼ inches down and 2½ inches across. Punch hole and insert a paper clip.
• Attach your “Important Days and Important Numbers” to inside covers.
• Wrap gaffer, book binding tape, or cloth hockey tape around the spine. I used five – 19 inch strips of gaffer tape.
• Draw a ½ inch line on the top and bottom of binding area. Punch a continuous line of holes just above your line. This will not be visible once the ribbon is all tied on.
• Cut 24 inches of 12 different ribbons.
• Insert your monthly pages in their folders. Punch a hole ½ of an inch from the top and ½ of an inch from the bottom. You can use your continuous binding holes as a guide.
• Thread ribbon through top of binding holes and then through the top of your January portfolio and calendar page. Leave about 4 inches of ribbon at top. Pull down and thread through binding, portfolio, and calendar page. Go around the bottom and pull up to the top and finally tie a knot. Continue until all pages are in the planner.
• If desired punch a 3 inch scalloped circle, ink edges, and attach to the front of your planner. If desired ink edges of “2009” and attach in the centre of you circle.
• Ink edges of the “you are here” tab and attach with a paper clip onto the January portfolio. I attached a paper clip to all my portfolios just for fun and you’re done!
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to
It has been deeply placed on my heart to start another
blog for 2009...I will still be updating A Journey
regularly with my projects and tutorials
which I totally love making and sharing.
The name of the other blog is 52 Pick Me Up.
You can see it here :)